Dear Glen Allen Elementary Parents:
More than 30 years' worth of research has proven that children have higher self-esteem and perform better academically when their parents are involved both at home and in school. By becoming a member of the GAES Parent Teacher Association (PTA), you can help our school, teachers, and students '40 great years of building great cubs' (this year's GAES theme). And the PTA can help you:
- Be in the know. PTA provides ongoing information about what is happening in our school and how you can support your child's education. Visit our website often at
- Support your kids' learning. Through fundraising, the PTA is able to invest in equipment and technology that enrich our students' learning experience. Past examples include Promethean boards for classrooms, playground equipment, ukuleles for the music program, and subscriptions to educational computer programs such as Learning A to Z, BrainPop, and Spelling City.
- Build relationships. PTA connects you to other families through meetings, events, communications and our electronic directory to help build a sense of community.
- Have fun with your kids. PTA sponsors many events -- spirit nights at local restaurants, the Science Fair, yearbook signing party, etc. -- to bring parents and kids together and benefit the school.
- Speak up. PTA can help you effectively suggest changes at your child's school and in your community.
- Access valuable resources and benefits. PTA membership gives you special offers and discounts from corporate supporters (Hertz, Staples, MetLife Auto and Home, and Sylvan Learning, to name a few). Additionally, you can sign up for a monthly parenting e-newsletter and free e-Learning courses. Find out more at VAPTA.org.